Coffee is one of the most common and loved flavor in cakes. I had baked this healthy Coffee cake for a Heart Healthy recipe contest conducted by Ovenderful Mom Baker’s Community, my favorite healthy baking group on facebook. The theme of the contest was to make bakes with heart healthy ingredients. So I came up with this healthy and delicious Coffee cake recipe.
The cake is made heart healthy with ingredients like amaranth flour, which is a super food with numerous health benefits, particularly good for heart. Sorghum flour, wheat bran, whole wheat flour are high in fibre. Coffee and dark chocolate are rich in antioxidants. Almonds are known for lowering the bad cholesterol which reduces the risk of heart disease. The combination of all these ingredients makes this a very healthy cake.
- Whole wheat flour 1/2 cup
- Amaranth flour 1/4 cup
- Sorghum flour 1/4 cup
- Wheat bran 2 tablespoon
- Coffee powder 2 tablespoon
- Organic raw sugar 3/4 cup
- Pure vanilla extract 1/2 teaspoon
- Eggs 2
- Oil 1/4 cup
- Baking soda 1/4 teaspoon
- Baking powder 1 teaspoon
- Warm milk 1/2 cup
- Hot water 1/4 cup approx to dissolve the coffee
- Dark Chocolate chunks and almonds for sprinkling on the top.
- Soak the bran in warm milk for 20-30 minutes.
- Mix coffee powder in boiling hot water and keep aside, use when it’s warm.
- Sieve the flours with baking soda and baking powder for 6-7 times and keep aside.
- Beat the eggs till light and fluffy. Add sugar and beat it till it’s creamy.
- Mix vanilla extract, coffee decoction to the egg and sugar mixture.
- Add the bran and milk mixture followed by the flour in batches.
- Fold in the batter till it is well mixed.
- Pour it in a greased baking tin, sprinkle dark chocolate and almonds on the top.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.
- Baking time and temperature as per your oven.
- Can use walnuts instead of almonds.
- Jaggery can be used as a sweetner to make it more healthy.