Lau chingri is bottle gourd cooked with shrimps, a delicacy from West Bengal. I love authentic Bengali cuisine, most of the recipes are so simple with minimal ingredients, yet so flavorful. It’s the same with Lau chingri, the humble bottle gourd gets a complete makeover by the use of shrimps. The shrimps just takes this simple bottle gourd curry to the next level.
- Bottle gourd, 1 small size
- Shrimp 250g
- Cumin seeds 1/2 teaspoon
- Bay leaf 1
- Ginger 1/2 inch
- Tomato, 1 small
- Turmeric powder 1/4 teaspoon
- cumin powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt and sugar as per taste
- Mustard oil
- Marinate the shrimps with salt and turmeric powder for 10 minutes then lightly fry them in mustard oil for 2 minutes.
- To the same pan add cumin seeds and bay leaf followed by grated ginger and tomato.
- Saute them for few minutes and add bottle gourd.
- Add cumin powder, salt, sugar, turmeric powder, green chilies.
- Cover and simmer till the bottle gourd losses all its water and cooked.
- Add the shrimps and simmer for five more minutes.
- Serve hot with rice.